Casseroles are such a great way to use leftovers and they are usually huge money savers. So, I, like to have some cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup on hand in case I have a brilliant casserole idea. But I recently found out about making your own dry soup mix!! I was so excited I made this ASAP! This mix is much healthier than your typical cream of mushroom soup. It’s also a money, time and space saver! Here is the recipe:
Ingredients (blend all of the following & store in an airtight jar):
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk (preferably organic)
- 3/4 cup cornstarch (preferably organic, so it would be non-GMO)
- 4 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
When you need a cream soup:
- Add 1/3 cup dry soup mix to 1 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. (I write the recipe with a dry erase marker on the lid.)
- Add a packet of broth concentrate to the saucepan (mushroom, chicken, beef or veggie). (Broth concentrates are a healthier choice than bouillon, as well as take up less space in your pantry—and use less packaging—than store bought broths in tetra packs. You could use Trader Joe’s brand. Better yet, make your OWN STOCK.)
- Simmer until thickened.
That’s it! Do you have any healthy casserole dish ideas? What do you use Cream of ANYTHING Soup for?
Thanks FreshStartNutrition for these recipes!
Have more questions? Go HERE
Have something to share? Have questions? CONTACT ME